Kahoolawe Bills; Symphony of the Soil; Pesticide Bills; Children’s Book Writing Conference
Tuesday, March 3rd – from HPR2, it’s The Conversation
Michael Naho’opi’i is the Executive Director of the Kahoolawe Island Reserve Commission. He is a long time Protect Kaho’olawe ‘Ohana member and the former US Navy Officer in charge of Kaho’olawe during the conveyance of the island to the State of Hawai’i. He was a senior manager during the early Model Cleanup and the later Navy Unexploded Ordnance clearance project. The SB470 SD1 hearing happens this morning at 9:15 in conference room 016.
- Intro Music: Boyo by Skavoovie & The Epitones
- Outro Music: Dream of Kaho‘olawe by Doug and Sandy McMaster
Deborah Koons Garcia is a filmmaker who will present her film Symphony of the Soil at the McCoy Theater at the Maui Arts & Cultural Center on Friday, March 13, and discuss it afterwards. It’s a presentation of The Merwin Conservancy’s Green Room.
- Intro Music: Clip from Symphony Of The Soil Official Trailer 1
- Outro Music: Seed to Soil by Bluetech
Lorna Cummings Poe is a lifelong resident of Kauai, and a community advocate. She worked in the billing department of a hospital where kids and teachers were sent following episodes of pesticide spraying in 2008. She believes her adult children and her grandchildren continue to deal with the impact of pesticide drift. This morning at 9 in conference room 211 the Senate Ways and Means committee is scheduled to make its decision about SB1037- the bill to mandate pesticide disclosure.
- Intro Music: Too Late by Greenhouse
- Outro Music: Kauai Beauty by Jeff Peterson
Sarah Ellis will be one of the featured speakers at the SCBWI Children's Book Writers and Illustrators Conference this Friday and Saturday at UH-Mano’a’s William S. Richardson School of Law.
- Intro Music: It Never Changes to Stop by The Books
- Outro Music: Getting The Job Done by The Books