Maui restaurant temporarily closed after cockroach infestation
Lahaina Fish Company on Maui received a red placard last week from the state Department of Health due to a cockroach infestation.
Roaches were sighted in a kitchen storage space and a downstairs bar area during a routine inspection.
During a previous investigation, officials found improper food protection from cross contamination and grease accumulation.
The restaurant must remain closed until the health department conducts a follow-up investigation and the infestation is resolved.
The restaurant is required to use professional pest control treatments and deep clean areas with food debris and grease buildup in order to reopen.
A follow-up inspection is scheduled for Aug. 1.