Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations
Local News

Hawaiʻi Island Considers Nixing Ironman Race Amid Virus Surge

IRONMAN
IRONMAN
/

KAILUA-KONA, Hawaiʻi — Officials on the Big Island are considering closing beaches and canceling the Ironman World Championship in response to a surge of coronavirus cases on the island.

“Right now our numbers are skyrocketing. It’s a shame because we as a county have been doing a great job,” Hawaiʻi County Mayor Mitch Roth told County Council members. “But we let down our guards — I let down my guard.”

The administration is revising its emergency rules and will submit the changes to Gov. David Ige for approval, West Hawaii Today reported Wednesday.

That revision could include a return to restrictions at parks and beaches that allow people to only cross the sand to get to the ocean to surf, swim, or fish — but not to gather or sit.

Similar restrictions were enacted across Hawaiʻi during the peak of the pandemic last year.

The Ironman World Championship is currently set for Oct. 9 in Kailua-Kona. Roth said a decision would be made soon about whether the event could go on.

“Unfortunately, it doesn’t look too positive for Ironman this year,” Roth said. “The question with Ironman is what do you do with all the people who come to spectate."

Related Content