Medical Examiner Releases Names Of Pearl Harbor Shooting Dead
Updated, Dec. 6, 10:57 a.m.
The Honolulu Medical Examiner released the names of those who died at the Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard shooting Wednesday.
Gabriel Antonio Romero, 22, was the Navy sailor who fatally shot two civilian workers and injured a third before killing himself. The Navy identified him as a machinist’s mate auxiliary fireman assigned to the USS Columbia submarine who was from Texas.
Killed were Roldan Aguinaldo Agustin, 49, of ?Ewa Beach and Vincent J. Kapoi Jr., 30, of Honolulu. Kapoi was a metals inspector apprentice at the shipyard, the Navy said, while Agustin worked as a shop planner.
The medical examiner said the deaths of Agustin and Kapoi were ruled homicides and Romero?s was listed as a suicide. All died of gunshot wounds.
According to the Associated Press, a U.S. military official says Romero was unhappy with his commanders and had been undergoing counseling.
The official who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss personnel matters not made public also said Friday that Romero was facing non-judicial punishment.
That is a lower-level administrative process for minor misconduct.
Meantime, a second shooting at a Navy military base occurred Friday. Military authorities say at least four people are dead, including the suspected attacker, at the Naval Air Station Pensacola in Florida. Seven other people were injured and remain in the hospital, the Associated Press reported.
Thomas B. Modly, acting secretary of the Navy, issued a statement on the two shootings:
Our entire Navy and Marine Corps team is struck and deeply saddened by the attacks within our own naval family over the past several days, at Little Creek, Virginia, last week, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, on Wednesday, and today in Pensacola, Florida. These acts are crimes against all of us. Our prayers are with the families of the fallen and with the wounded. It is our solemn duty to find the causes of such tragic loss and ceaselessly work together to prevent them. Let us make concerted efforts to care for the families of those lost, and those wounded, visibly and not. Let us shepherd them through these first moments of despair, and make them, and our greater Naval family, whole and strong.
Workers were returning to the Pearl Harbor shipyard Friday after directed to take off work Thursday following the shooting. According to media reports, traffic in and around Pearl Harbor was congested with increased security in place.
Security will also be beefed up Saturday's ceremony to remember the attack on Pearl Harbor 78 years ago.