Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations

Navy: Sailor Shooter Dead After Killing Two, Injuring One At Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard

U.S. Navy photo by Marshall Fukuki

Updated: Dec. 4, 5:40 p.m.

A sailor killed himself after shooting three male civilian workers, two of whom were dead, at the Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard Wednesday afternoon, the Navy said.

The situation is secured and the facility is no longer in lockdown, according to Lydia Robertson, deputy director of public affairs, Navy Region Hawaii. 

Pearl Harbor public affairs office said the shooting was reported at around 2:30 p.m. Gates were closed and placed on lockdown.

Rear Admiral Robb Chadwick, commander of Navy Region Hawaii, said the sailor was assigned to the USS Columbia, a Los Angeles-class submarine. His motive for the shooting is unclear, Chadwick said. The Navy is not sure if the victims were picked randomly or were targeted.

He said the names of the victims and identification of the shooter will not be released until next of kin is notified. 

The Naval Criminal Investigative Service is investigating the shooting. Witnesses were being interviewed, Chadwick said.

The submarine, homeported at Pearl Harbor, was in Dry Dock 2 for regular maintenance when the incident occurred. 

Don Bongo, International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 1186 Unit 2 business representative, said his union represents 600 electrical workers at the shipyard and they were all safe.

But one International Federation of Professional and Technical Engineers official said two suffered cardiac arrests and one suffered a gunshot wound to the leg.

City ambulances transported two victims to local hospitals. The Queen's Medical Center confirmed it received one 36-year-old male victim. He was in guarded condition. Other victims were sent to Pali Momi Medical Center and Tripler Medical Center, a source said. 

Honolulu Mayor Kirk Caldwell's office issued a press release stating that the city medical examiner would be working with the Navy.

In a statement, Gov. David Ige expressed concern about those affected by the shooting. "The White House has reached out to offer assistance from federal agencies, and the state is standing by to assist where necessary," he said.

This story is developing. Please return for updates.

Correction: An earlier version of this story reported a city official said three had died in the Pearl Harbor shooting. He then corrected himself and said one was dead. The Navy later said three were dead.

Related Stories