The donation of your used vehicle to Hawaiʻi Public Radio helps us meet our operating costs, including those spent purchasing the quality programming you've come to expect on both our program streams. Avoid the hassle of selling your car; instead, enjoy the peace of mind that comes from knowing that the entire amount garnered from the vehicle's sale will go to HPR and be available to you for tax-deduction purposes.
Preferred condition of vehicle
- Donations of cars, trucks, or motorcycles accepted
- Must be running and be on Oʻahu
- Under 100,000 miles
- Under 10 years old
How to donate your vehicle to HPR
1. Call HPR's business office Monday through Friday, between 8 am and 4 pm, at 955-8821 to schedule an appointment with Bernie.
2. Bring the appropriate paperwork (you must be the registered owner of the vehicle and have a current registration, safety check, and title) to the meeting. Bernie will immediately complete some forms, including a transfer of title, which she will give you to take to the car auction location.
3. We do not pick up your vehicle or provide towing. To maximize the amount the station can realize from your donation, we ask that you take your used vehicle to the auction site. A map and further instructions will be provided.
4. Bring the used vehicle to the auction location (in Mapunapuna area). HPR can help arrange a taxi cab to transport you to your next destination.
5. On the sale of your vehicle at auction, a receipt will be mailed to you for the exact amount for which it sold. You may claim this full amount as a donation when filing your taxes.
For more information on donating your vehicle, we recommend this article from Charity Navigator.