General Assignment Reporter
Hawaii Public Radio is looking for a general assignment reporter to join our growing newsroom. We’re looking for an experienced reporter who can cover news across platforms, from on the air audio for newscasts and deeper discussions on our news talk show to posting content on digital platforms. This position involves covering breaking and developing news for our state-wide island community, so the ability to turn work quickly on deadlines is important. We’re looking for a self-starter with a positive attitude who can work with colleagues in a fast-paced environment with the spirit of aloha.
This is a full-time, exempt position keeping Monday through Friday hours with occasional weekend and eveningwork as assigned or necessary for news coverage. Typically works 40 to 45 hours a week.
- 2-5 years of experience in reporting and story-telling; excellent writing and communication skills.
- Experience working in teams and producing content on deadlines.
- Familiarity with Hawaii and with public radio are essential, experience in public radio or other broadcasting is helpful. Professional presentation skills, including broadcast quality voice skills.
- Experience with digital platforms is essential and experience in their use in news organizations is helpful.
DESCRIPTION OF POSTION
The General Assignment Reporter will write, edit and produce short and long form news features and shorter stories for on-air newscasts and local inserts into national magazines, spot coverage and live appearances on news and talk programs as well as posting stories on HPR’s digital news platforms.
The reporter may be asked to focused on a specific area or areas depending on skills and knowledge, in addition to general news assignments.
This position will be responsible for covering several stories a week for broadcast on local portions of national news magazine programs Morning Edition and All Things Considered.
This position will contribute to additional reporting and news coverage as part of HPR’s news team—from work on series and special reports to participation in listener events such as panel discussions and other events, including HPR on-air fund drives.
- File a combination of feature stories and shorter news pieces each week. Weekly appearances on HPR’s news/talk program The Conversation; posting online components of coverage.
- Work with News Editor and News Director to plan and execute coverage on a regular basis. Take part in news meetings and communicate with colleagues about story planning and developments.
- Other duties as assigned.
To apply, send cover letter and resume to Vice President & News Director Bill Dorman: email@example.com.